May 24, 2010

Sun screens for your kids....GRRRRRR!

Listening to our local news this morning, I hear bits and pieces of information about sun screens and how some may not be all they are cracked up to be. Then I receive a post from a friend and blog reader (thanks Molly!) with a link attached about how some chemicals in sunscreens may be accelerating cancer cell development AND not protecting our kids the way they are advertising to be. Okay so I am fired up a bit and start doing some research.....and NOW I AM FUMING!!!!

I thought for sure the sunscreen I buy was a good quality lotion. It is the most expensive at the store, and after all, you get what you pay for, right? WRONG! It was rated ONE OF THE WORST! And these are products I am trusting to protect my children, my three and one-year old??

It is so frustrating! I use a lot of things that are considered "natural" but let's be honest, who has the time to investigate every little thing and the money to purchase all these things? So while running through the grocery store, I grab a trusted name (at least I thought) brand sun screen. Those of you who have done the same thing, READ ON!

Here is the article (Study: Many Sunscreens May Be Accelerating Cancer) Take what you want from it, but the most important thing I did was click on the EWG (environmental Working Group) link below, then click on the Find the best sunscreen for you link, then you can search for the cream you have been using to see it's rating (the scale of good to caution to harmful is there). And you guessed it, mine was not just "caution" but in the HARMFUL category!! The page also shows the EWG's list of best rated sun screens that do not have those harmful chemicals in them. I recognized a lot of the names and most of them you can not buy in the grocery store because they are all natural products and are not carried in the big chain stores. I have seen some of them at Whole Foods and Sun Harvest and even Babies R Us.
Looks like I will be purchasing new sun screen for the hot summer months to come!!

EWG Link to finding a safe and effective sun screen
http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/

If you don't read the article or rate your sun screen at least take the time to look over this page. IT IS GREAT!
It is the EWG Top Sunscreen Tips and includes a chart showing you how to shop for sun screens (which chemicals to check for to have and avoid), then what to do prior to applying sunscreen, and sun tips for infants, toddlers, children, and teens!
It is a must read!! Look for most posts on this issue to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment